Thursday, July 11, 2013

Taco Flavored Pinto Beans and Individual Taco Pizzas

I told you there would be a reason and this is it. This is the reason you got two sauce recipes in a row. Believe me this is definitely worth the wait if you want a quick and yummy meal. OK, quick if you have the two previous sauces made and waiting for you in the fridge. If not it is still fairly quick with a fast blender rinse in between making the sauces.
I have a serious love of Mexican food, but if we go out to eat it usually does not love me. Tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and of course my all time favorite the chimichanga. I am fairly sure my love of Mexican food is in my genes because my whole family loves it. My parents can lots and lots of salsa every year, which is delicious by the way. OK dad maybe not the hot stuff, in my opinion, but I know that is the boys' favorite. My mom makes delectable chicken enchiladas which are of course smothered in cheese and have a sour cream based sauce on top. I can't even tell you how good those are. I am fairly certain that part of the reason Mark married me was because of those enchiladas. I am also fairly certain I have passed my Mexican food loving genes onto Ashlyn. When asked what she wants for dinner tacos are always on the list (along with pizza and tempeh).
That is why I love the two recipes below. I love the bean recipe because instead of the beans being cooked in water, like I have seen, they are cooked in a delicious taco flavored broth and end up picking up that flavor all the way through the bean. I also love the individual pizzas because they can be a super quick dinner if you do a little prep before hand and they can be customized to each persons taste. I love everything listed below on my pizza, but Ashlyn just wanted beans, tomato, and olives on hers. This is a dinner that can make everyone in the house happy and you can feel good knowing that you are serving plant based whole foods.

Taco Flavored Pinto Beans

1 c dried pinto beans
1 bay leaf
1/8 c cumin
1/8 c minced onion
1 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs dried coriander
1 Tbs Spanish paprika
1 Tbs garlic powder
3 c water
salt and pepper

Rinse and sort your pinto beans. Place all ingredients except the salt and pepper in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. Drain any excess water, salt and pepper to taste, and use your flavored beans anyway you would like. These store fantastic in the freezer, so if you have any left freeze them for future use.


Individual Taco Pizzas

Taco Flavored Pinto Beans (mashed)
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Cheeze Sauce
Lettuce
Tomato
Black Olives
Ranch Dressing

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is preheating take as many pinto beans as you would like and mash them with a potato masher or fork (the potato masher is much easier). Once preheated put your tortillas on a sheet tray and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Watch these closely as oven temps vary and they can burn very quickly.
Once toasted spread your mashed beans on the tortilla. Spread your cheeze sauce on top of the beans. Put in the oven for another 2 minutes to warm up the spreads.
Top with your favorite taco pizza ingredients. I used iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, and a drizzle of ranch dressing. If they would have been in my fridge I probably would have also added avocado and green onions to mine, so adjust the toppings to your tastes and preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment