Monday, July 8, 2013

Cheeze Sauce

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I have been very busy developing new recipes. So, keep coming back because in the next couple of weeks I should have a lot of new recipes for you.
One of the things that I have missed most since removing dairy from my diet has been cheese. Oh how I loved the stuff, but starting in my mid-twenties it did not love me. So, once we changed our diet I found in vegan cookbooks and on vegan food blogs the term cheeze sauce. I was definitely intrigued. I tried a couple versions, but non of them gave me that taste and texture I was looking for, so I decided to develop my own version to suit the tastes of our family. After a few attempts I finally came up with a basic cheeze sauce that we have fallen in love with! Finally, I can have mac and cheeze, nachos dripping in cheeze sauce and whatever else my little heart desires. This is definitely a big hit in our house, so please try it as a healthier version of the "Velveeta" cheese sauce because I know you will not be disappointed.

Cheeze Sauce

1/2 c cashews
1/2 c nutritional yeast
1 c unsweetened almond milk
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

You first need to soak your cashews overnight. Place the cashews in a bowl, cover with water, and place in the fridge overnight. I usually just keep a bowl of soaking cashews in the fridge so I can have this cheeze sauce whenever the urge hits.

Once your cashews have soaked drain the water and place all of the ingredients in your blender. Blend on high for about 5 minutes if you are lucky enough to have a Vita-Mix this should not take as long. I will usually stop it a couple times to scrape down the sides.

Once blended pour the mixture into a small sauce pot and heat on medium low. You want to watch it very closely at this point. Whisk every couple of minutes until you reach your desired consistency. It will take a little while to thicken up, but once it starts it can get really thick really fast. If it becomes too thick whisk in a splash of milk until you reach your desired thickness.

Enjoy your cheeze sauce and keep those cashews soaking because I know you will want this again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment