Thursday, February 20, 2014

Crispy Whole Wheat Waffles

It has been a long time since I have posted a recipe and there is a reason. Last year when I started this blog I had these great dreams of making up recipes and whipping up fantastic meals effortlessly and without spending a lot of money. I had been stalking food blogs for awhile and thought, hey if they can do it, I can do it.
I now look back and realize that at that time I must have unexpectedly been whisked away to OZ and then made my way back home without even realizing I was there. I totally wish I would have known I was there because I so would have joined the lollipop guild and floated around in a bubble with Glinda. OK, so off topic. Anyway I realized that right now I am not great at developing my own recipes, and if I want to write here more often and include recipes on a consistent basis then I need to take a different approach. On my way back from OZ I realized that I am way better at taking someone else's recipe and adjusting it to fit our tastes and health goals. So that is the direction I am going to take for right now.

These crispy whole wheat waffles came about from this recipe Classic Waffles. Waffles are our Sunday morning go to breakfast. When I ask Ashlyn what she wants for breakfast her answer is always waffles. These are vegan, whole wheat, and freeze fantastically. Instead buying frozen waffles from the grocery store I keep a bag of these in the freezer for a quick breakfast option during the week. I have tested and retested this recipe and I recommend that if you try this you make it just as written otherwise they may not come out crispy and may stick to your waffle iron. I promise I have tried this recipe for at least 6 months now with different ingredients and this is the only one that comes out perfect every time. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Crispy Whole Wheat Waffles
Makes 6 waffles

2 Tbs chia seeds
6 Tbs hot water
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 cups almond milk
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a small container stir together the chia seeds and hot water. Let this sit while you put the other ingredients together. It will get all thick and gel like, don't worry that is normal.

2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.

3. In a measuring cup or small bowl whisk together the milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the chia/water mixture and whisk the wet ingredients one more time.

4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk just until mixed. Let the batter sit for 15 minutes.

5. While the batter is sitting warm up your waffle iron. *I use a regular waffle iron, not Belgian, so there may be a difference if using a Belgian waffle iron.*

6. Once the batter has rested and the waffle iron is hot spray your waffle iron with non stick spray. Ladle 1/2 cup of batter into the iron and close the lid. Cook the waffles until golden and crispy.

7. Enjoy with your favorite toppings. Some of ours are real maple syrup, peanut butter, fruit (those are warmed up frozen cherries in the pictures), or chocolate chips. Ashlyn highly recommends a waffle face with chocolate chip eyes and nose and a syrup mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment